Hi friends! Sorry for later posting today… this 3 hour time difference in Vegas is weird to me! ;) Bare with me though, because my laptop is on it’s last leg of life, so it took me about twice the time to write this. For some reason, my keyboard enjoys just deleting the words that I write. Yep, it’s super fun.
This North Carolina wedding from Meet The Burks is absolutely adorable… not to mention the bride put together most all of it with her grandmother! Love it when details have a special meaning! :) And the bride, Miranda, is stopping by today to tell us all about her DIY wedding!
What (or who) helped you most in your planning process and/or on your wedding day?
I came up with my ideas from many hours looking through blogs and my grandmother was instrumental in helping me make my vision into reality. We spent several weekends carefully crafting DIY elements and she was a great help in providing jars and milkglass.
What was the most important thing to you when deciding who to work with for your wedding?
Honestly, budget. I knew we didn’t have a lot to spend, but I was confident we could still have a beautiful wedding. So my goal was to make the most of our budget by DIYing everything I could and prioritizing the rest. I designed the save-the-dates, invitations, and programs. I made my bouquet, the bridesmaids bouquets, and the boutinierres. The dress I wore was from a friend. The milkglass vases and candle jars were collected throughout the year we were engaged by myself and family members and our flowers were ordered wholesale and arranged by my family the day before the wedding. Our vendors (catererer, cake, DJ, wedding director) were all friends of my husband’s family (who is from Wilmington where we were married). We even entered a photo contest and won second place, so our photography was 50% off. Because we saved and did many aspects of the wedding ourselves we were able to splurge on the venue.
What was your favorite thing about your wedding?
This is such a tough question so I’ll give you my top 3 moments.
1. Our First Look- We did our first look at the exact spot where Mark proposed almost exactly one year prior at a friends private house on the sound. It was was special spot and such a sweet and intimate moment to share before the ceremony. I loved having the moment between just the two of us.
2. Communion During the Ceremony- We decided to take communion during our ceremony and afterward we prayed together while Mark’s sister sang one of my favorite songs. It was such a personal moment eventhough we were in front of our friends and family because our backs were to them and we were facing out at the water. I remembering feeling so thankful and full of joy!
3. Walking Down the Aisle- Words cannot describe how wonderful it was to walk down the isle to the man of my dreams. I know it’s cheesy, but it was such a climatic moment to walk past the faces of our friends and family with the music and the sun shining with the confidence of knowing I was marrying the man for me.
What is your best piece of advice for other brides?
Embrace the stress and take breaks from planning. Maybe some brides didn’t find wedding planning stressful, but I did! Eventhough it was good stress and I was excited it was still stress. When you get engaged people tell you what a sweet time engagement is, which I believe is true, but they don’t say to you (at least no one said to me) that it will also be a stressful time. So my advice is to embrace the stress, acknowlegdge that planning a wedding is stressful and try enjoy it through the stress because it will all be worth it in the end.
Thank you so much for sharing your wedding planning experience with us Miranda! And thank you to Meet The Burks for capturing it all amazingly!
What’s your favorite part of this vintage DIY wedding? I love all of the burlap and twine accents… it adds a nice bit of rustic to everything!
Vendors who made it all happen…
Latest posts by Lauren (see all)
- Choosing A Wedding Photographer: How Hiring A Professional Makes A Difference - June 19, 2019
- A Country Chic Boho Wedding - June 19, 2019
- The Mistake Everyone Is Making With Assigned Seating - June 15, 2019