[Editor's note: So in case you haven't picked up on it by now, when I write my posts, I take my own experience as a
clueless bride, add in my experience actually planning and working at weddings, and put it all together to give you all advice and insight. Essentially so you can have the best wedding planning experience EVER! :) Just thought I would give you all a little reminder!]
I’m constantly talking about planning your wedding- what to do to find inspiration, don’t forget this, this thing would be awesome as a wedding-related-thing, yada yada yada blah blah blah. But sometimes the *actual* wedding day is overlooked, and you know what? All that planning and talking about weddings is FOR the wedding day! DUH! This came to me as I was working on one of my brides’ timelines (Sidenote: yes, I still have a few weddings I’m planning, and my brides are AWESOME!). I started making a list of things to be sure to tell her for the actual wedding day, and realized that they were things that no one ever told me. So of course now I’m taking it upon myself to be the one to tell you all things that you should know about your for your wedding day!
1. Everything will not go completely according to plan. Even though there is a plan, not everything is going to be exactly according to it. Chances are though, you won’t know about it (unless you don’t have a wedding planner), and it’s going to be amazing no matter what. :)
2. Chances are that it might rain (or snow or hail or whatever). Even though we try to predict it, ultimately, weather is unpredictable. This is why there are backup plans, and your wedding day will NOT be ruined! And hey- it’s good luck for it to rain on your wedding day. ;)
3. If you’re having a large wedding, chances are good that you might need to take a breather and just get away from all the people for a few minutes. A good way to “excuse” yourselves is to sneak away with your photographer for some portraits for a few minutes.
4. Have an extra pair of *comfortable* shoes. This is definitely a must for those of you wearing fabulous designer shoes, but still consider it even if you’re wearing shoes that you expect to be comfortable, like flats. Unless you’ve worn them for months and are 100% confident that you won’t be waddling by the end of the night, it won’t hurt to have a pair of tried-and-true shoes that you know you’ll be comfortable in. You don’t think of it right off the bat, but you’re going to be on your feet for at least 4 hours- possibly even up to 10! Give the shoes to your planner to have for you at the reception and you can thank me later. :)
5. This last one sounds silly, but it’s true. Stick to your normal drink. I don’t care if it’s Bud Light, wine, gin, whatever- oh but not red wine! Sure, try the signature drink, but if you’re not used to it, don’t drink it all night. That champagne… I don’t know about you, but when I drink just champagne all night some weird things happen. Trust me on this. I actually thought I would be cool and try to drink my sweet signature drink all night, and it ended with me not feeling so hot on my wedding night.
Yep, these are all things that you might not want to hear or admit to, but they are the truth, and all things that you just need to be prepared for in some way or another. But there is SO MUCH MORE to know than just these 5 things… so wedding pros and former brides, please feel free to share your own tips for the wedding day in the comments! Help out all of the brides who are reading so they can be prepared for their wedding day! :)